Access to care depends on a sufficient healthcare financing system, which is able to generate resources and pool them through a unified channel to be able to purchase quality healthcare services with effective payment modalities. Healthcare financing is crucial to support the entire health system including professional workforce, promote the adoption and implementation of health information technology, enhance medical education, training, and research, and encourage and reward quality-improvement programs that advance and strengthen the health system.
Proper design of health system financing will aim to improve the level of healthcare utilization as needed by the community. It will improve the efficiency and provide accountable and transparent mechanisms resulting in a responsive health system and a financially protected community with equitable access to health care services using different revenue collection modalities with good benefit package design.
By the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Distinguish between the principal ways of funding health services
- Identify historical and cultural factors that have influenced the evolution of healthcare finance
- Identify factors which have determined the growth of healthcare spending
- Distinguish between the different options of private–public mix in the financing and provision of health care
- Universal health coverage
- Health coverage and the health financing functions
- Revenue collection, pooling, purchasing, and payment mechanisms
- Health care expenditure
- Use of Excel and SPSS in analyzing economic data
Training Delivery Methods
- In-class method
- Online method