This course provides participants with basic concepts and principles of health systems, health policy, planning, and management. It enables them to analyze the key aspects of health policy in developing health systems and the changing role of governments and ministries of health in health care delivery. It provides the opportunity to understand and critically analyze issues like health system development and reforms and policy change and centralized vs. decentralized health systems. It also provides an understanding of principles of health planning and practical use of techniques like logical frameworks, results-based planning, budgeting and resource allocation, and monitoring and evaluation of health plans. The course also introduces core principles of organizational management by providing an overview of composition, balance and shape of the overall network, relevant aspects – such as different types of health networks, geographical distribution, ownership, and physical and functional conditions of health facilities. This unit also explores the features of health management systems and the ways they change under stress.
The leadership portion of this course aims to assist the participants in identifying and developing their leadership and communication styles and learning how to use this to achieve their mission. It touches on management skills to achieve efficiency and improve health outcomes. This is taught on the context of managing organizational performance by giving living examples of health organizations.
By the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Apply log frames, results approach and rights-based approach in developing health plans
- Identify key principles of policy development, planning, and management of health resources
- Apply management skills and functions according to the principles of organizational management
- Recognize and apply change management
- Demonstrate the skills of teamwork and communication skills
- Learn how to develop and assess leadership management skills and styles, specifically: delegation, active listening, conflict resolution, and time management
Training Delivery Methods
- In-class method
- Online method