This course focuses on the fundamentals of toxicology and the mechanisms by which environmental and occupational chemical agents affect human health. The principles and mechanisms will be elaborated upon in three areas:
1- General principles: route of exposure, dose response, absorption, distribution, storage, metabolism and excretion.
2- effects on target organs: liver, kidney, blood, respiratory system, and nervous system.
3- application of the principles of toxicology using: solvents, pesticides, and metals.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to apply the principles of toxicology for compounds found in the environment and workplace.
By the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Explain the impact of the conditions of exposure, routes, duration, and frequency on the toxic effects of compounds
- Explain and interpret the relationship between dose and the toxic response
- Describe the processes of absorption, distribution, storage, and excretion and apply the principles of toxicant transport across membranes to the uptake, action, and excretion of chemical agents
- Describe and characterize the types of reactions in Phase I and Phase II metabolic pathways and give prototypical examples of each
- Explain mechanisms whereby toxicants cause injury to the liver, kidney, lung, and nervous system and give examples of prototypical toxicants for each organ
- Identify the acute and chronic effects of hydrocarbons, halogenated hydrocarbons, pesticides, and heavy metals; characterize their mechanisms of toxicity and describe measures to preventive or decrease toxic effects
- Introduction to Toxicology: Exposure, Adverse Effects, and Chemical Interactions
- Introduction to Toxicology: Tolerance and Resistance, Toxicity Testing, Epidemiology, and Human Toxicology
- Toxicodynamic Dose: Toxicity Relationships, Toxicity Testing, and Health Risks
- Toxicokinetic: Absorption, Distribution, and Elimination
- Organs Toxicology 1: Reproductive system
- Organs Toxicology 2: Immunotoxicology
- Organs Toxicology 3: Skin Toxicology
- Organs Toxicology 4: Respiratory Toxicology
- Organs Toxicology 5: Hepatotoxicity
- Organs Toxicology 6: Nephrotoxicity
- Ecotoxicity Effects of Toxicants on Ecosystems
Training Delivery Methods
- In-class method
- Online method