The main aim of this Program, which is intended for advanced participants, is to master the essential skills of laboratory and safety management. The main focus of this Program will be on maintaining laboratory biosecurity, managing emergencies and waste disposal. Different aspects of laboratory management will be discussed such as space and personnel management, laboratory policies and forms development, and scientific writing. This Program will also introduce participants to the major concepts of Biosecurity such as building security, personnel security, transportation and information security. Biological and Chemical waste disposal management are also two important topics that will be discussed in this Program. Together with emergency management this Program would sum up the most important factors that need proper regulations and a solid management system to maintain all aspects of safety in medical laboratories.
The overall objective of this program is to prepare participants for a leadership role in maintaining and managing safety rules in medical laboratories. The course focuses on the foundations of laboratory management, waste management, emergency management, and most importantly biosecurity management. Participants in this course should have covered, in previous courses, all aspects that deal with maintaining and sustaining safety regulations in medical laboratories. Therefore, in this course, participants will learn how to manage all of these aspects efficiently.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Explain the foundations of laboratory management
- Explain the main aspects of biosecurity
- Manage the disposal of hazardous waste
- Manage Emergencies
- Develop policies and regulations to contain and prevent emergencies in medical laboratories
Participants in this program complete the following five short courses:
- Management of Medical Laboratories
- Biosecurity Management
- Biological Waste Management
- Chemical Waste Management
- Emergency Management in the laboratory
Participants will spend seven weeks in the field in order to be exposed to real-life situations and to practice the skills they gain with the guidance of a dedicated mentor. The following field projects are expected to be conducted during the field work period:
- Recognize and acknowledge the different roles and responsibilities handled by the personnel and administration and learn to coordinate between them
- Develop and implement safety documents and procedures that entail handling samples, equipment, and laboratory space
- Develop and implement security regulations based on the nature of the laboratory.
- Manage emergency responses and develop strategies to minimize/prevent them.
The program is useful for public health professionals working for ministries of health, non-governmental organizations, and scientists/personnel working in medical research laboratories. Since this course focuses on management courses, this course could help professionals seeking leadership positions in the biomedical industries. Each cohort will include 20-24 participants which will be provided with training and mentor/supervisor support.
Training Delivery method
- In-class method
- Blended learning method
- Number of Coursers: 5
- Duration: 3 Months
Participant who complete the three-month program requirements will be awarded a Post Graduate Diploma Certificate (PGDC).